Thursday, August 25, 2011

Zeroth Grade

So this was going to be the final post about the Glamper, but I just looked through the picture file and I only have pictures of it at night, and they just don't do her justice. Apparently the 2 weeks she sat in front of the house, not to mention the weekend camping trip were not enough time to take a few decent photos. Never fear there is still a bit of work to be done on her and I hope to bring her home soon and take a few "after" pictures.

But for now, on to the good stuff! On Monday the inevitable happened, my little man started Kindergarten. Grayson has been in full on countdown mode for the past year. When he turned 5 last October, he thought that was the cue, then when we stopped going to pre-school in December he was sure the next day he would be a Kindergartner. Then when school was out for the summer for the "big kids" he knew it was going to be any day "Is it tomorrow, Mom?" was heard countless times over the past 3 months. At the first of August we started the official countdown. He informed me 3 weeks ago, (with no prompting from me) "Mom, 20 more days until I start zeroth grade". At that point I realized maybe he should just skip "zeroth grade" all together and go straight to first, but oh, the disappointment he would suffer... Kindergarten it is.

Last Thursday night I was getting ready for a grown-up's only weekend getaway with my family, I checked Facebook one final time to make sure I was fully caught up on everything before I left and read this post from my sweet Auntie Amy about my cousin:
Well the truck is loaded and I am moving Chelsey into BSU dorm in the morning......of course my smart ass daughter asks are you going to stand around and cry all morning......of course her quick mother responds " hell no I'm headed for the closest bar."..........and oh by the way leaving on vacation for a week...:)
At this point I realized that the next time I would see Grayson there would be zero days until zeroth grade, I got choked up at the very thought and advised Auntie Amy to have a drink for me at that bar. I was suddenly even more thankful that I was leaving for the weekend so I would be distracted enough that the boys in my house wouldn't have to commit me by Monday morning for sitting around in a pool of my own tears.

We got home late Sunday night, so late Grayson was already tucked into bed. I kissed his sweet cheeks and pulled the covers up knowing what tomorrow would bring. Sure enough, 7:30 and Grayson is in my room, fully dressed with backpack on, ready for school (he is an afternooner, and doesn't go until 11:40). We had breakfast and made sure his bag was packed, I told him I had put a banana in his bag for snack and he replied with a too grown up sounding "thanks mom" (I'm sure there was a shrugged shoulder involved). I teared up instantly and left the room. We killed the next three hours by Grayson asking me if it was time to leave yet or if he could go and get in the car.
a little pre-kindergarten snack

11:15.... finally!

11:15 finally rolled around, and we headed to school. Again, I teared up he caught me and asked what was wrong, I just choked out that I was so excited for him. When we got to the school some of the parents and kiddos were already there. We sat and waited, taking a few pictures and chatting with each other about this biggest of days. His teacher finally came out at 11:40 and asked that we say our goodbyes outside, she is obviously very wise (or someone warned her about me!). I gave Grayson one final squeeze and a kiss on the forehead, he took his place in line and with a big smile, a quick wave, and a "bye Mom" he became a kindergartner.
on his own...

the moment he has been waiting for

I held it together until I got to the car and even then I only cried for a minute. I knew Grayson was just where he wanted to be, and I am so proud of him and the boy he has become. I know he will do fantastically in school because he is curious, polite and eager to learn. And the smile on his face when I picked him up that afternoon said it all!

So big

2 comments:

Carolyn Benik said...

he's sooooooooooooo sweet!! These kindergarteners...they are too grown up!!!!

Jennifer said...

This is so darling- I laughed a little and cried a little :)