Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Grayson - Month 32

We have entered the age of unpredictability; some would say that parenting is always unpredictable, however this month you have taken it to new levels. It begins first thing in the morning, I never know what I am going to encounter when I open your bedroom door – a still tired, blurry eyed version of you who freaks out if one jammie pant leg is higher than the other, who wants a glass of “mots” only to have one poured and adamantly refuse it. Or will a little ray of sunshine singing and giggling await me. Both your daddy and I are still trying to figure out how to deal with this, many times all we can do is look at each other and shake our heads. One thing is for certain though; when you set your mind to it you can be the sweetest most thoughtful child I could ever imagine. One night a couple weeks ago I was lying with you at bedtime scratching your back as you fell asleep, if I paused you would reach up and move my hand, a gentle reminder not to stop. This reminded me so much of myself when I was little, I remember snuggling up to Pretty Mama, GiGi, or an Auntie and willing them to scratch my back, forever wasn’t long enough and I hated for them to stop, that night with you Grayson – I would have scratched your back forever if it meant I could hold onto that moment for a minute longer, in fact I stayed with you long after you had fallen asleep just to relish your preciousness. These are some of my favorite moments with you.

This month has also been set to music. Most of the day is filled with you quietly singing to yourself while you play. My favorite song you sing is a melody of the ABC’s and Twinkle Twinkle, “H, I, J, K, eliminopee, winkle, winkle, lilstors”

I am one of the few who understands your ongoing commentary, in fact I find myself repeating what you have just said – I think part of this is to interpret for anyone who may not know what you are saying and the other part is a subtle pronunciation encouragement. However no mater how many times I repeat “ga-ga” as “water”, “nonnie” as “blanket”, “mots” as “milk” and “nhowball” as “dryer sheet” you still insist on saying them your way, and I know a part of my heart will break the day you actually say the word correctly, that will be one of the truly bittersweet moments of mommyhood. One group of words you have mastered quite well are commands – you often tell me to “go” when you would rather me not see what you are up to and “stay” when you don’t want me to leave your bed at bedtime. You ask to have your pants or shoes “out” when you actually want them off and inform us it is “mama’s turn” when you want me to do something for you.
You have finally accepted the fact that Radlee is here to stay; you call him by his name “Tadtee” more often than not (for along time I thought he would come to be known as just “baby” because that is what you always called him.) You even introduced him to the “gurls” from next door yesterday when they came over to play with you (by the way – “the gurls” are actually a little boy your age and his big sister). And you love to “cheers” with him when he is having a bottle and you a cup of milk, however the cups must “clink” in order for you to be satisfied. So “Cheers” to you Grayson and never knowing what tomorrow will bring.
I love you the most,
Mama

No comments: